Écomusée de Marquèze: back to the Landes past
Just a stone’s throw from the Domaine des Oréades in Sanguinet, theMarquèze eco-museum in Sabres offers visitors a change of scenery and time. With your family, discover the history of the Landes de Gascogne, the heritage, culture and traditions of the Landes region in a landscaped area. Experience an unforgettable day in another world, and let your imagination and memories carry you away…
Back to the 19th century!
Departure from Sabres station in a train with carriages classified as “historic monuments”, taking you to the Marquèze district, an authentic site in the heart of the Landes de Gascogne forest.
On a 25-hectare site, you’ll visit traditional houses, a collection of period objects, gardens, the sheepfold and small heritage buildings.
A permanent exhibition
Before taking the train to immerse yourself in the daily life of Landes neighborhoods at the end of the 19th century, discover the events, characters and activities that shaped a landscape that is now characteristic of the Landes de Gascogne forest.
Along a 500 m2 path punctuated by music, stories, games, archive films and personal accounts, experience the transformations that have taken place over the last two centuries and their influence on the landscape and its people.
March 31-April 1, 2013: Spring and Shepherds’ Festival. Every year, music from Gascony blends with music from around the world. Come and join in the fun every day, starting at 10 a.m.!
- EGG HUNT;
- travelling music ;
- grand bal gascon ;
- concerts ;
- Easter omelette tasting.
May 1, 2013: the maid. In the Landes region of France, on the night of April 30, flowering trees adorned the homes of neighbors, newlyweds, newcomers to the village, and elected officials. In Marquèze, this rite is perpetuated in broad daylight on May 1st.
May 6 to 12, 2013: Printemps des Landes.
– Journey to the center of the imagination”: do you know the “water organ”, the “memory tree” or the “border of beliefs”? These Maquinas Poeticas are a playful and whimsical addition to the tour of the Marquèze district, complementing the themes covered by the ecomuseum. The mad inventor who brought these machines to life will reveal all his manufacturing secrets and sources of inspiration. A funny and original journey through the brain of a bricoleur-poet.
–> Guided tours at 11 am and 3 pm.
– Women’s crafts”: learn how to make lace, discover the effectiveness of “homemade” soap and learn the secrets of bugade: all traditional processes, arts and techniques in which you can take part!
May 18, 2013: Museum Night. Discover Marquèze by candlelight from 10 pm.
May 19 and 20, 2013: sheep shearing. During the shearing, you’ll discover the world of sheep through the actions of shepherds and their demonstrations (carding, spinning and dyeing wool, introduction to knitting, etc.).
Sunday June 2, 2013: Rendez-vous in the gardens. For the 1st time, the ecomuseum is taking part in this national event, which will take place in Marquèze with a plant swap punctuated by initiations for young and old, experts and beginners alike: plessage technique (creation of a plant fence using interlacing), insect shelter making, floral gastronomy (preparation and tasting) and botanical drawing.
Sunday June 16: Mills Day. The association Les amis des moulins Landais and the ecomuseum got together around their floured work surface to put together a crunchy program:
- discovery games on the history of traditionally milled cereals (rye, spelt, maize, millet);
- tasting of exotic breads;
- demonstrations of millstone stitching (the laborious task of maintaining millstones);
- and of course… meetings with our miller!
June 22-24, 2013: Midsummer rituals. You too can make Midsummer crosses, while learning about the rites and popular beliefs of 19th-century rural Landes society (witch-hunting plants, healing waters, etc.).
- What to do in Sanguinet when it rains?
- Stroll around the Le Teich ornithological park.
- A paradise for toddlers: La Coccinelle animal park in Gujan-Mestras.