Purchasing a mobile-home: what is necessary to know and what must be avoided
A mobile-home combines the appeal of camping and the advantages of a holiday home. After spending holidays renting a mobile-home, many families take the plunge and choose to purchase a mobile-home. Here is some advice.
What you need to know
- The transport of the mobile-home must only be carried out on a special wide-loader , by a professional transport company. You cannot transport it yourself.
- You must make arrangements for, and choose your site when you purchase your mobile- home.
- The lifetime of a mobile-home can be 15 to 25 years according to its quality and the standard of maintenance-work done throughout this period.
- If it is well situated, renting out a mobile-home is quite easy.
What must be avoided
- Do not place your mobile-home on a private site or on a campsite with few services if you wish to rent it. Families are generally looking for many services from the campsites in which they have chosen to rent.
- Do not place you mobile-home on a campsite only open in summer : you will be able neither to enjoy it often nor rent it as long as possible.
- Do not purchase a mobile-home in a campsite which asks you to remove or replace it after 5 or 10 years.
- Do not purchase a lightly or poorly insulated mobile- home : the electricity bill might be steep if you use it in winter and you will probably regret your choice in the summer heat.